Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is an essential part of our Christmas tradition. Bread stuffing tastes drab and spongey in comparison.
- 2 cooking onions
- 5 stalks celery
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 5 cups oatmeal
- garlic powder
- 1 dash nutmeg
- water, to moisten
- Dice onion and celery.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan or sauce pan.
- Add onion and celery and saute until soft.
- Add oatmeal and seasonings. My mom uses poutry seasoning and that is really nice too.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Moisten with water until clumpy.
- Gently pack into the turkey cavity bottom and top.
- Roast the bird as you would with bread stuffing. It smells wonderful.
- You can also make this as a side dish if you steam it in the pan. Made like that, it's called scurly.
This is a traditional Scottish recipe. It is important to note that you should not use rolled oats in this recipe. You use steel cut oats. It is delicious although I suggest replacing the water with either vegetable or chicken broth and the description of the amount of liquid to use is a bit vague. You want to add enough that it forms a soft mass.