A muffin with old-fashioned appeal taken from The Gazette's Eater's Digest.
Make and share this Oatmeal Spice Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats and the buttermilk and let stand for one hour.
- Preheat your oven to 400 F and line a muffin tin with 10 paper muffin cups.
- Stir the egg and sugar into the oat mixture, followed by the butter.
- Pile all the remaining ingredients together atop the mixture, then stir them into the batter just until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, then bake in the middle of your preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until the muffins are firm and golden brown.
Very very good. My son just loved them. I think soaking the rolled oats in buttermilk really brings something special to this recipe. I did soak for the entire time but as stated by another review the entire time may not be necessary. It appeared that all the milk was absorbed about 20 minutes into the soaking. I did not have any liners so I just sprayed the pans well and they all popped easily out without any sticking. I did get 12 decent regular sized muffins out of this batter.
What a SUPER YUMMY muffin recipe! I really enjoyed its subtle cinnamon flavour and the moist inside paired with a lovely crunchy outside. The soaked oats really give it that extra something. I do have to admit though that I ran out of time and only soaked mine for 15 minutes, which was completely fine. I also realised too late that I had run out of soda, so I just used more baking powder instead and my muffins turned out nicely. I reduced the sugar to 1/4 cup, which was just right for me. However if you prefer your muffins sweeter, Id use the full 1/2 cup. I made the full recipe, but divided the dough and added raisins to one half. A tasty addition, but really not necessary. They are perfect as is. I got exactly ten muffins out of it. Thanks so much for sharing this gem of a recipe with us, Lorrie! I will surely make it often again! Made and reviewed for Every Day is a Holiday Tag Game April 2009.
very good outcome on this one. this is not an overly sweet muffin so nice for breakfast or after school. I plan to play with it just a bit; mixing 1/2 AP and 1/2 whole wheat flours or 3:1 ratio on that. I will probably cut the butter as well and substituting w/ some applesauce.