Prep1 hr 5 mins
This is from the Montreal Gazette. The batter is a stepping stone to adding your choice of favourite fruits, like dried cranberries, blueberries and so on. Play with the recipe a bit in order to get the best combination of fruits that suits your taste.
- 1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup packed down brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup nuts (optional) or 1 cup raisins (optional) or 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, and the buttermilk and let stand for one hour (30 minutes will do if you are in a rush).
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F, and line a muffin tin with 10 paper muffin cups.
- Stir the egg and sugar into the oat mixture, followed by the butter.
- Pile all the remaining dry ingredients together atop the mixture, then stir them into the batter until just combined.
- Carefully fold in any add-ins without overmixing, which causes the muffins to be tough.
- Divide the batter evenly among the the prepared muffin cups, then bake in the middle of your preheated oven for about 25 minutres, or until the muffins are firm and golden brown.
- Let cool in the pan a few minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool further.
I liked these muffins a lot and so did the people I shared them with! They are really soft and custard like inside with a nice crunchy crust on top. Mmm! The nutmeg and cinnamon add a lovely touch and makes the muffins very seasonal. I reduced the sugar to 1/4 cup and used raisins and cranberries, but no nuts. The recipe was easy to follow and rather quickt, too, but I needed to bake my muffins for an additional 10 minutes. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this keeper with us, studentchef! Made and reviewed for Sweet Traditions November 09.
I used whole wheat flour, canola oil instead of butter, demara sugar and I didn't pack it down, 1/2 cup craisins and 1/2 cup raisins, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and no other spices. Thanks for posting the recipe.
I didn't pack the brown sugar. I used vegetable oil. I added more cinnamon and omitted nutmeg. I didn't add nuts or raisins. I wanted to add dried cherries but I forgot. They're still delicious. Thanks StudentChef :) Made for Please Review my Recipe.