Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
Diamond Rio's Dan Truman and wife Wendee from www.crookandchase.com!!
Make and share this Oatmeal Spice Cake and Frosting recipe from Food.com.
Ingredients for the cake
- 2 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats (not quick cooking or instant)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for the icing
- 1 1⁄3 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cream or 1⁄2 cup canned milk
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Directions for the cake Add oats and butter to boiling water.
- Reduce heat and cook for five minutes to soften oats.
- Meanwhile, mix together the beaten eggs and the brown sugar, and set aside.
- Sift the rest of the dry ingredients together into a large bowl.
- Add the softened oats and the egg mixture and stir together.
- Batter will be heavy.
- Pour into a 9 x 13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
- While baking, prepare the icing (recipe to follow).
- Directions for the icing In a medium saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the brown sugar and stir to melt and combine.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir until combined.
- When cake is done, pour the icing onto the hot cake.
- Broil for five minutes, watching cake closely, until icing is bubbly.