Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
Diamond Rio's Dan Truman and wife Wendee from www.crookandchase.com!!
Ingredients for the cake
- 2 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats (not quick cooking or instant)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for the icing
- 1 1⁄3 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cream or 1⁄2 cup canned milk
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Directions for the cake Add oats and butter to boiling water.
- Reduce heat and cook for five minutes to soften oats.
- Meanwhile, mix together the beaten eggs and the brown sugar, and set aside.
- Sift the rest of the dry ingredients together into a large bowl.
- Add the softened oats and the egg mixture and stir together.
- Batter will be heavy.
- Pour into a 9 x 13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
- While baking, prepare the icing (recipe to follow).
- Directions for the icing In a medium saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the brown sugar and stir to melt and combine.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir until combined.
- When cake is done, pour the icing onto the hot cake.
- Broil for five minutes, watching cake closely, until icing is bubbly.