Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I designed this to be a smaller loaf of sourdough bread with a fiber boost from the oatmeal.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sourdough starter
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon honey or 1 tablespoon real maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread flour (or unbleached all-purpose)
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon yeast (yeast makes the bread rise a little faster) (optional)
- Add ingredients according to the recommendations from your bread machine's manufacturer.
- Use dough cycle.
- Remove finished dough and shape into loaf.
- Let rise forty minutes to one hour (until doubled). If using just starter and no yeast, rising time will vary greatly--I usually let mine rise overnight if I use just starter.
- Bake at 350 degrees 40 minutes. Don't preheat oven! Just stick bread dough in there and set the heat!
I had found a similar recipe on another site with the only changes to be using all-purpose flour and to make into rolls instead of bread. Decided to add this to our 4th of July party table for a differant type of bread. I don't have a bread machine so used my KA but just mixing all together, dumping out and kneeding for about 5 minutes and then followed the direction from there. Used my Alaska SD starter and the end results was a nice, dark roll with a distinct SD flavor. The crust was hard as we like with a dense but soft crumb. The only thing I might do next time is reduce the amount of honey as it was a little to sweet for me, but that said all my guest love it as is.
This was one of the best breads I ever made in my bread machine! I added the optional yeast and it came out delicious! My husband even raved about it!
I made this tonight and it was wonderful! My husband gave it 5 stars. I made 1.5 times the recipe and it fit perfectly in my loaf pan. I added a bit more flour while kneading in the machine because it was quite sticky. I did use the yeast and it rose nicely in about 40 minutes in a slightly warmed oven. Then I just turned it up to 350 and baked. Will make again and again!