Recipe by PaulaG
This is a wonderful way to get your oatmeal for the day. It has a wonderful brown sugar topping that adds a nice crunch.
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1 egg, separated
- 1⁄3 cup dried sweetened cranberries (I use raisins or chopped dates)
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray four 5-oz souffle molds, custard cups or ovenproof bowls with nonstick cooking spray; place in 15x10x1 inch baking pan.
- In a small saucepan bring the milk and butter just to a boil.
- Gradually add oats while stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until oats thickened, stirring often.
- Remove from heat; pour the oat mixture into a large bowl.
- Add sugar, salt, cinnamon, sour cream and 1 egg yolk; stir until smooth.
- Add dried fruit and set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat all 3 egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Gently fold egg whites into oat mixture using a rubber scraper.
- Do not overmix; small lumps of egg white will remain.
- Gently spoon the mixture into molds.
- Sprinkle the tops with brown sugar.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until souffles are puffy and a knife inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Serve immediately.