Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is different from the usual oatmeal shortbread cookie. This has corn starch and icing sugar in it. Enjoy the unique texture and flavor.
- 177.44 ml all-purpose flour
- 158.51 ml quick oatmeal
- 118.29 ml cornstarch
- 118.29 ml icing sugar
- 177.44 ml butter, softened
- Combine flour,oats,corn starch and icing sugar in large bowl.
- With large spoon, blend in butter.
- Work with hands until a soft, smooth dough forms.
- Shape into a ball.
- If necessary, refrigerate 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- VARIATIONS for baking.
- Bake in 300° oven until edges are lightly browned.
- Roll dough out to 1/4 inch thickness and use cookie cutters, bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Or you can shape into 1" balls, flatten with fork dipped in sugar, put on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- CRANBERRY WEDGES.
- You can add 1/3 cup dried cranberries to dough, then roll or pat dough into two 5 1/2" rounds and bake on ungreased cookie sheet 30-40 minutes.
- Or you can press into one 9" cake pan, mark into 8 wedges, prick with fork, and bake 40-45 minutes.
- These freeze well.
These are melt in your mouth buttery rich oatmeal shortbread cookies. It was just what I was looking for. The key to this texture is in the confectionary sugar and the cornstarch. I added a little vanilla. They need to cook until just starting to turn a little brown on the edges. If they don't cook enough they will fall apart when removing them. I let them sit on the pan a few minutes to rest before removing them. Great recipe, thanks for sharing.