Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a recipe my grandmother took with her from Scotland
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening (or 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup shortening)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk (or sour milk)
- Mix first 4 ingredients and add shortening.
- Mix like pie pastry.
- Stir soda into milk.
- Add to flour mixture.
- Roll out and cut in rectangles.
- Bake 400°F 15-20 minutes.
I used ww flour and half butter half shortening. I also added 2 cups of frozen blackberries. Amazing! I love the texture of these scones, though I might add a bit less sugar next time.