Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I received a flier in the mail today for another Taste Of Home cookbook entitled THE ULTIMATE COOKIE COLLECTION. Lucky me....there are 2 free recipes. Here is one of them.
FOR THE COOKIES
- 1 1⁄2 cups shortening
- 2 2⁄3 cups brown sugar, packed
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups old fashioned oats
FOR THE FILLING
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
- 1 tablespoon milk (actually 1-3 tablespoons to achieve proper consistency)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling: in a mixing bowl, cream the first three ingredients. Add enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Spread filling on the bottom half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.
I have been making these cookies for years after finding the recipe in one of my Taste of Home Magazines. They remind us a lot of the "Little Debbie" sandwich cookies, except better. My family is very excited when they come home to a batch of these cookies.
i got the same flyer tried these and now they are one of my families favorites my dd says they are the best cookies she has ever eaten and she has had alot of cookies i recommend them highly