Prep 1 hr
Cook 12 mins
My Dad and brothers' favorites.
- 1 1⁄2 cups shortening
- 2 2⁄3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups old fashioned oats
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
- 1 -3 tablespoon milk
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture.
- Stir in oats.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening, sugar and marshmallow creme.
- Add enough milk and mix until spreading consistency is achieved.
- Spread filling on the bottom half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.
These taste so much better than the store-bought kind! I made them for Halloween with m&m's on top and they disappeared in two days!
I have been making these cookies for years after finding it in Taste of Home - my copy is getting old, glad it's here so I can throw it away! My family loves these and anyone I ever make them for, agree they are yummy goodness.