1/1 Photo of Oatmeal Rye Bread
3 hrs 20 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
This is a dense and delicious loaf from the Vegetarian Epicure Book Two. Note: This calls for 2 cups whole wheat flour and 2 cups all purpose flour - I was out of whole wheat flour when I made this and used 4 cups of white instead and it was delicious, still plenty hearty from the oats and rye. Passive work time/cooking time includes rising time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Stir the yeast into warm water in a large bowl, add molasses and stir till dissolved.
- 2Add the white flour and the whole wheat flour, about 1 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- 3When all four cups of flour are stirred in, beat the mixture with a wooden spoon for about 10 minutes. It should be smooth and very soft.
- 4Cover bowl with a towel and put in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- 5The yeast sponge should rise considerably and be rather bubbly at the end of this time.
- 6Now sprinkle salt over the sponge and fold together.
- 7Add the rye flour and the oats, a little at a time and fold them together. The dough should be quite thick.
- 8Add enough white flour to make the dough manageable and turn onto a floured board, and knead for about 20 minutes till smooth and elastic.
- 9Cover and let rise till doubled.
- 10Punch down and divide into two parts, forming each into a loaf. put into buttered medium loaf pans and let rise till doubled.
- 11Bake at 350°F for 40-60 minutes (depends on your oven and how crusty you like your bread - my loaves were just right at about 40-45 minutes. I brushed the loaves with butter after baking to soften the crust).
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oatmeal Rye Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1735 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1730.7
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3527.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 358.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 56.3 g
- Sugars 26.7 g
- Protein 63.0 g