Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
If you can not find persimmons substitute canned apricots.
Make and share this Oatmeal Raisin Persimmon Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cover raisins with water in a small saucepan and boil them until they are soft; drain.
- In a large bowl, blend the shortening, sugars, milk, eggs, and vanilla.
- Beat well.
- Add the flour, salt, and soda.
- Beat again and stir in the raisins, persimmons (or apricots), and oats.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes, taking cookies out while they are soft.
- Cool cookies before removing them from the baking pan.
These are middle-of-the-road oatmeal-raisin cookies. Those two ingredients really overwhelm the persimmons. It's so rare that I have persimmons, that I'd prefer to use recipes that let their flavor stand out. The cookies are also quite sweet, with two kinds of fruit on top of the sugar.
These cookies were really good as far as taste goes. Otherwise, they were "high maintenance." Very crumbly and broke apart too easily. Didn't enjoy the baking of them. I lost a lot of cookies because they just fell apart. Otherwise, yummy:)
Thanks SO much for the tip on substituting canned apricots for the persimmon pulp, (can't find persimmons where I live.)