Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Joy of Vegan Baking. These are AMAZING!! In this recipe, the eggs are replaced with ground flax seeds. When using ground flax seed to replace eggs in a baking recipe, the ratio is always 1 TBSP flax seed to 3 TBSP water. Ground flax seed has a bit of a nutty flavor and it is best used in recipes like pancakes, waffles, muffins, breads and oatmeal cookies, and as an added bonus, flax seeds are the most concentrated source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 cup margarine, non-hydrogenated (I use Earth Balance)
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray cookie sheets with non stick spray.
- In a blender, or using a wisk, whip together the flax seed and water until thick and creamy.
- Cream together margarine, sugars, vanilla and flax seed mixture until well blended.
- I another bowl mix flour, oat bran, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add to the wet ingredients, and mix until well blended and smooth.
- Stir in rolled oats and raisins until thoroughly combined.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop up dough and lighty press cookies to form about 1/2" thick rounds.
- Bake cokies until golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool 3 minutes on the cookie sheet before transfering to wire rack to cool.
this is the best recipe! I would recommend you try to make these. I just finished baking them and these are one of my most favourite cookie recipes. I used all organic ingredients and made a few substitutions: I used organic coconut palm sugar and reduced the amount the recipe called for(the dates provided most of the sweetness), used dates because i didn't have raisins, I used virgin coconut oil instead of vegan butter, coconut flour instead of oat bran.
The cookies spread slightly in the oven and I had only pressed down on them alittle because I didn't want them to be flat. I took them out after about 16 minutes and the colour was golden on the edges.
Wow, the substitutions I made produced the best cookies ever: slightly crispy on the outside and light on the inside with a subtle hint of coconut. I will definitely make again.
I had cookie dough left over, so placed tablespoon -sized dough balls on parchment paper in a container in the freezer so I can bake them at a later time.
Make these cookies. The original recipe without substitutions I'm sure would be amazing as well.
excellent! thanks for the recipe. loved these
These were very yummy and didn't taste "vegany" at all. I think next time I try the recipe I may cut back on the sugar and replace at least half the margarine with unsweetened applesauce or pumpkin. I will let you know how they fair with those changes!