Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe in a farm coop publication.
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon rind
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup coconuts or 1 cup pecans
- Heat oven to 375. Mix raisins, milk, lemon juice, and rind in a saucepan; heat until bubbly. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter sugar, and vanilla; add dry ingredients. Add oats and nuts. Spread half of the oat mixture in a greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Pour raisin mixture over top and cover with remaining oat mixture. Bake 25 minutes or until light golden brown. Slice into bars when cool. Store in refrigerator.
My mom and I used to make these, but I lost the recipe. This is similar to ones with a chocolate and condensed milk filling, but I prefer the raisins. I cut them into smaller squares. They're very rich, sweet and chewy. Good with coffee or tea.