Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
modified from homemade bagels recipe from recipezaar 3 ww pts.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages yeast
- 1 1⁄2 ounces sugar
- 1⁄2 ounce salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal, toasted
- 1 tablespoon oatmeal, toasted and chopped
- 2 quarts water
- 1 egg white
- Mix yeast, sugar and warm water together and let stand 3 minutes.
- Mix 2 cups of flour with the salt in a large bowl and add the yeast mixture.
- Stir until combined and slowly mix in the rest of the flour, 1/2 cup oatmeal and raisins.
- Knead on a floured surface for 5 minutes, adding additional flour if needed, dough should be firm.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until double.
- After rising punch down and divide dough into 12 balls.
- Allow to rest for 4 minutes.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to boil.
- With your thumb, make a hole in each ball of dough and pull open about 2 inches, making a bagel shape.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the shaped dough onto a cookie sheet and cover for 10 minutes.
- Lower heat under water for it to be simmering.
- Drop 2 or 3 bagels at a time into the water for about 45 seconds, turning each once.
- Drain and place on greased baking sheets.
- Brush tops with beaten egg white and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon oatmeal.
- Bake for 35 minutes, turning once for even browning.
- Bagels are done when they are golden brown and shiny.