Recipe by Feast Your Eyes!
A very simple and delicious answer to the breakfast 'Ho-Hums". Packed with flavor from the cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and rum-raisins; these moist muffins are loaded with a powerful nutritional punch that will give you plenty of energy on those chilly fall and winter mornings. Brew yourself a pot of coffee and ENJOY!
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 3⁄4 cup dark raisin
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup shortening, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup green apple, cored, peeled and diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Soak the raisins for 15 minutes in the rum before mixing into batter. This will plump, refresh and add extra flavor to your raisins. Set aside.
- To a small mixing bowl add the beaten egg, buttermilk, brown sugar and melted shortening; stir well to combine.
- To a larger mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients; pour in the buttermilk mixture. Give a good stir. Add the raisins and apple to the batter and continue to stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. (DO NOT OVER BEAT - IT SHOULD ONLY TAKE ABOUT 20 or 30 STROKES BY HAND.)
- Spoon the batter into 12 paper-lined muffin cups; fill 2/3 of the way.
- Bake for 17 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges.