Recipe by HalloKatze
A cheap and healthy way to make your own protein bars.
Top Review by nthmost
* Honey instead of maple syrup.
* 1 cup of So Delicious Coconut Yogurt instead of milk and powdered milk.
* Hemp protein powder.
* 2 Tbsp cinnamon.
* 1 egg yolk.
* 1 packet Stevia
My result: a very chewy, very moist bar with only a nutty hint of the hemp protein powder (I was worried it would make the bar bitter, but it didn't). Perfect sweetness. The yogurt added just a slight tang that I really enjoy.
My only complaint is the lack of fat -- I need more fat for satiety and long-term energy (otherwise I overeat carbs and think about food all day). I'm going to make these again but with 3 whole eggs and perhaps also more fruit (e.g. dates and dried apricots).
- 3 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups non-fat powdered milk
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup 1% low-fat chocolate milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 cup natural applesauce
- 6 scoops protein powder
- 1 cup almonds, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix all the dry ingredients (except for the raisins and almonds) in a large bowl. Mix all the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. Consistency is sort of like cookie dough. Add the raisins and almonds, and mix well.
- Spread into a 9X12 baking dish.
- Bake for roughly 20 minutes, until edges are crisp and browned.