Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This dough might break when put into the pie plate-push back together and patch if needed. A great shell for Hommus Pie.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley (just depends what your using this crust for) or 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon (just depends what your using this crust for)
- 6 teaspoons solid shortening
- 2 teaspoons cold butter
- 4 -5 teaspoons ice water
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, oatmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder and herbs of choice.
- Cut in shortening and butter to coarse.
- Add 3 T.
- of the ice water and mix with a fork.
- Add more water, 1 T.
- at a time until mixture holds together.
- Roll out on a lightly floured board to 1/4 inch thick.
- Line a pie plate, prick the surface and bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes for a partially done crust, 30 to 35 for a fully baked one.
Great pastry crust... not too sweet... just the way I like it. I left out the herbs and used it for a pumkin pie. The family loved it.