Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is what I use to make my Old Fashioned Apple Pie Apple Hills Old Fashioned Apple Pie. It should make two crusts.
- 2 cups pastry flour or 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄3-2⁄3 cup water, ice cold (little at a time)
- Mix together all dry ingredients.
- Blend in shortening with pastry cutter of two forks until mixture resembles coarse meal; shortening should be coated with the flour mixture.
- Make a well in the middle of this mixture; add water until moistened.
- Mix with a fork.
- Dough will not be completely moist; some dry spots will be evident.
- Pull mixture together with your hands until it holds shape.
- Cover and chill 1 hour or overnight.
- Roll out as you would any pie crust.
- Cook according to your pie recipe.
- This makes a super crust for my Old Fashioned Apple Pie, and is the crust I specify in that recipe.
- Makes 1- 9 or 10 inch double pie crusts.