Recipe by Engrossed
I adapted these from a King Arthur recipe. We enjoyed these healthy wheat free cookies. If you double the recipe and use 2 cookie sheets reverse them halfway through baking (top to bottom, bottom to top). Watch for over baking.
Top Review by MarraMamba
GREAT cookies! i think its really important to measure the butter properly to avoid spread, and beat it all as described. Even tho if you use to much it would be like oat lacies i think. The only thing they didn't do for me was harden much. Considering the low carb and low sugar amts as well as healthy fats, its well worth that! thanks engrossed.
- 1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal or 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 6 tablespoons pecans, coarsely chopped (I used pecan chips)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar blend or 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Splenda granular or 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F; lightly grease a baking sheet.
- If using old fashioned oats pulse them in a food processor a few times.
- Combine the oats, nuts, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and orange zest (if using) in a food processor, blender or a medium bowl (if using an immersion blender). Pulse until the nuts are finely chopped and evenly distributed. **You should end up with a fine meal. This is taking the place of flour**.
- Beat the butter and sugars in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add the egg, scraping the bowl and beating until smooth.
- Stir in the vinegar and vanilla, then the oat mixture.
- Drop the dough by 1/2 tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet. (They don't spread much).
- Bake cookies for 10-14 minutes until the edges are barely browned.
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to rack or paper bag to cool completely.
- **Mine turned out as small round puffy soft and slightly chewy cookies**.