Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These chewy muffins are a wholesome snack, and a hit with my daughter! Not too sweet, but entirely delightful, I prefer using chunky peanut butter for the added crunch. If vegan, use other liquid sweetener, if not vegan/vegetarian, regular milk substitutes just fine.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal
- 3⁄4 cup peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup honey (or other liquid sweetener)
- 1 cup soymilk (or other nondairy milk, or cow's milk if not vegan)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1⁄2 cup barley flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 9 ounces raspberry preserves (or favorite flavor jelly or jam)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a 2 cup bowl, combine water and oatmeal and microwave for 5 minutes or until cooked. (Alternatively, use 1 cup leftover oatmeal).
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix the cooked oatmeal with the peanut butter, vanilla, honey, and milk. Stir until all the lumps are gone.
- In another bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients, and stir well. Fill muffin tins evenly with batter and bake for 20 minutes.
- Test to see if the muffins are done by inserting a toothpick in the middle of a muffin. If the toothpick comes out clean, the muffins are done. Remove from tins and place on a solid surface.
- Spoon preserves into a pastry bag fitted with whatever tip you desire, and pipe evenly into the middle of each hot muffin. Let cool. Enjoy!