Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Want a delicious breakfast, yet desire the healthy benefits of fiber and whole grains? These healthy pancakes or waffles are the perfect answer. Even though I wouldn't choose to eat a bowl of hot oatmeal, I can't get enough of these pancakes. Kids love them, too!
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups oatmeal or 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons Splenda granular or 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 canola oil
- 2 whole eggs or 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (preferably stone ground) or 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4-1 1⁄4 cup skim milk (to thin batter as needed)
- Pour boiling water over oats; stir to moisten.
- Add oil, egg, and 1 cup skim milk.
- Mix together salt, flour, Splenda (or sugar) and baking powder.
- Add to oatmeal mixture and stir.
- Add enough remaining skim milk (3/4 to 1-1/4 cups) to make a medium thick batter (for waffles) or a thinner batter (for pancakes).
- Make 4-5 inch pancakes on hot griddle, letting them brown a little (about 2-4 minutes) or waffles in waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions.
- NOTE: Batter is best if covered, refrigerated and left to sit overnight, but can be used immediately with very good results.
This recipe didn't work for me at all. As br2brown, I added some extra flour for the waffle maker, but it really stuck up good. Fortunately there was some batter left to make into pancakes, which I would rate only as fair.
I found that the amount of liquid in this recipe made my batter way too runny to make waffles. If I try these again I'll certainly add much less that 3/4 of a cup of in step 6. Once I added extra flour the waffles were pretty good for something so healthy.
I enjoyed these waffles. The only thing that I did differently (only becasue I do it to all my waffle and pancake recipes) was to seperate the eggs and whip up the egg whites and fold them into the final mix. It tends to make the final product a little fluffier.