Prep 2 hrs
Cook 25 mins
We love this beautiful good-for-you bread ! The oats give it a distinctive flavor and it is wonderful toasted or with a bowl,of homemade soup.
- 354.88 ml boiling water
- 236.59 ml old fashioned oats
- 22.18 ml active dry yeast
- 118.29 ml warm water
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml grapeseed oil
- 7.39 ml salt
- 1 large egg
- 473.18 ml white whole wheat flour
- 473.18-591.47 ml all-purpose flour
- 29.58 ml flax seed meal
- 29.58 ml butter, melted
- 44.37 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- 2.46 ml kosher salt (optional)
- 4.92 ml italian seasoning (optional)
- 2.46 ml garlic powder (optional)
- 1- Combine boiling water and oats. Let it cool.
- 2- In a mixing bowl, combine yeast, sugar, oil, egg, salt, oat mixture and 2 cups white whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth.
- 3- Add remaining flour to form a soft dough. Knead until smooth and elastic ( about 8 minutes ).
- 4- Press the dough evenly into a greased 13-in. X 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let it rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- 5- Punch the dough down in the pan and with a sharp knife, cut diagonal lines 1-1/2 inches apart completely through dough. Repeat in opposite direction, creating a diagonal pattern.
- 6- Cover and let it rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 7- Brush with the melted butter, sprinkle with kosher salt, pamesan cheese, herbs and garlic powder, if desired.
- 8- Bake at 350º F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.