Recipe by Chef Glaucia
We love this beautiful good-for-you bread ! The oats give it a distinctive flavor and it is wonderful toasted or with a bowl,of homemade soup.
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- 1- Combine boiling water and oats. Let it cool.
- 2- In a mixing bowl, combine yeast, sugar, oil, egg, salt, oat mixture and 2 cups white whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth.
- 3- Add remaining flour to form a soft dough. Knead until smooth and elastic ( about 8 minutes ).
- 4- Press the dough evenly into a greased 13-in. X 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let it rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- 5- Punch the dough down in the pan and with a sharp knife, cut diagonal lines 1-1/2 inches apart completely through dough. Repeat in opposite direction, creating a diagonal pattern.
- 6- Cover and let it rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 7- Brush with the melted butter, sprinkle with kosher salt, pamesan cheese, herbs and garlic powder, if desired.
- 8- Bake at 350º F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.