Recipe by Ambervim
Save money. Save time. Eat a good breakfast. Foolproof cooking while you shower and dress. McDonald’s oatmeal contains more sugar than a Snickers bar and only 10 fewer calories than a McDonald’s cheeseburger AND 11 ingredient you would not keep in your kitchen.
Top Review by Guachipelin
I love practical ideas like this. I think I'll put the dry mix in a thermal coffee mug, and take it on the plane with me. It will make it through the security check, and I'll have something on my restricted diet that I can eat when I travel =)
- oatmeal (rolled NOT instant)
- raisins (or any dried fruit)
- nuts, chopped
- brown sugar (or honey or agave or maple syrup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill a half pint (jelly jar) half full of oatmeal.
- Add the goodies.
- Pour boiling water to just below the threads.
- Invert a few times,.
- Let sit for at least15 minutes.
- Add butter and milk if you want.
- The texture will be a bit different that what you cook on the stove.
- This can be made in a thermal container and it will stay hot much longer and results in a texture more like stovetop.
- Obviously 1 pint jar is 2 servings, 1 quart is 4 servings.
- Don't have a canning jar, use what you have. Fill it half full of oats and then top with boiling water after your goodies -- that's the trick.