Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 mins
I got this recipe from my neighbor Lois when my girls were very small. They are 31 and 37 now and we still make this every Christmas, every bake sale and every time we want a fudgy tasting sweet. It is the most popular sweet I make.
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cook the milk, sugar, cocoa and butter to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add oats and vanilla; mix well.
- Pour into a 9x12-inch buttered cake pan.
- Refrigerate till firm.
- Cut into squares.
- Store in a tightly covered container or zip lock bag.
I tried real hard to like these but after 4 days they were still mush.The sweet was way too much.I followed the recipe exactly. Maybe there was something missing.
i add 1/4c.cocoa 1/4 t. salt boil 1 minute 1/2 c. peanut butter 2 or 21/2c. oats drop from spoon onto wax paper and chill till firm. i make about 200 every Christmas for family and friends.
I have had a similar recipe for years. I thought that this was grat, I added a bit of salt to cut the sweet. I really like making this in the summer....no hot kitchen from baking. Thanks for sharing.