Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I made these one morning when I had three hungry kids, was low on breakfast items and in desperate need of a trip to the grocery store! Served warm from the oven with butter and drizzled with honey or jam, they satisfied my hungry little ones (my DH, too). They enjoyed them so much that I now make them even when I'm not low on supplies. These are not very sweet muffins, thus the serving with honey or jam. They make a good healthy breakfast muffin, but if you are looking for something sweet, this is not the one! I substitute freshly ground whole grain flour for the all purpose. **PLEASE NOTE**. If you substitute store-bought wheat flour for the all-purpose, you do not need to add the additional amount of flour - just use the same amount as all-purpose.
- 1 cup old fashioned oats or 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour or 1 1⁄4 cups freshly ground soft wheat flour or 1 1⁄4 cups oat flour
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Mix buttermilk, oats, egg and sugar.
- Let stand while greasing muffin tins.
- Add dry ingredients then the melted butter. Bake at 400* for 25 minute Yield: 1 dozen.