Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs 53 mins
Wonderful, aromatic bread. Ideal for serving with "plainer" main meals, or for use in bread pudding or french toast. Just let it dry a bit before using it in your recipe.
- In a large bowl, pour boiling water over butter and oatmeal.
- Let stand 30 minutes In a small bowl, sprinkle yeast over lukewarm water and let stand until the yeast dissolves and gets foamy.
- In either the large bowl (if doing by hand) or in a mixer bowl, combine the oatmeal, yeast, molasses, and salt.
- Mix, adding 1 cup of flour at a time until JUST kneadable.
- This dough is sticky, do not add too much flour!
- Turn onto a floured surface (or add dough hook to machine) and knead about 8 minutes, using as little flour as you can and still knead it.
- Form dough into a ball, and place in an oiled bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a cloth and let rise 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch the dough down and cut into half.
- Shape into loaves, or circles or any other shape you desire.
- Cover again and let rise for 40 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes .
- VERY IMPORTANT: When baking in anytype of pan, grease them well.
- This bread will stick in a BIG way if the pans are ungreased.
I found it pretty good. I saved some dough to make fried bread to dip in syrup and it was delicious. Too bad my family didn't like it.