Prep 3 hrs 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe came from a really fun cookbook, the Dairy Hollow Hill House Soup & Bread Book. It is my husband's favorite bread of all the bread I make. Perfect toasting bread, and makes great PB&J sandwiches, according to my son.
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast (not instant!)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup blackstrap molasses
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Mix the boiling water, butter and oatmeal.
- Let stand 30 minutes or until cool.
- Mix the yeast and warm water in the bowl of your mixer and let stand until proofed.
- Add the oatmeal mixture and the molasses.
- Mix the salt with one cup of the flour and add to the mix.
- Mix until combined.
- With the dough hook attachment on the mixer, keep adding flour until the dough comes together and is no longer sticky.
- Then let it knead on low speed about 10 minutes.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and finish kneading by hand until somewhat smooth- this dough is a little rough textured.
- Turn into a buttered bowl, cover with plastic wrap, then a towel and let stand to rise until doubled (about 2 hours).
- Punch down, divide and shape into 2 loaves, place in greased loaf pans, set aside to rise again.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bake the loaves until done, about 35- 45 minutes.
This bread is very moist, dense and has a strong, though not unpleasant molasses flavor. It's excellent for toasting (we like it spread with cream cheese) and if I like PB&Js I'm sure it would be excellent for that too. I just made this tonight (already gone through half of one loaf, though). I was expecting the oatmeal to give it a bit of texture (I think that I am used to making oatmeal cookies) but really all it did was add moisture. I let this do a long rise overnight in the fridge, took it out, let it finish rising and baked. Very hearty and homey loaf. It is not a particularly impressive flavor- just very much dense, moist, hearty comfort food. All-in-all good. Excellent, easy-to-follow directions.