Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I found this recipe in an old Taste of Home magazine. It was submitted by Ruth Andrewson. I have some aunts that LOVE this bread. It calls for bread flour, but I use 100% whole wheat with great results.
- 295.73 ml plus 1 tablespoon warm water
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil (I use canola)
- 118.29 ml molasses
- 4.92 ml salt
- 709.77 ml bread flour (I use whole wheat)
- 236.59 ml quick-cooking oats (I use old-fashioned)
- 7.08 g active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place ingredients in order given.
- Select "white" or "wheat", depending on which flour you used.
- Bake according to bread machine directions.
- Makes a 1 1/2 pound loaf.
I rarely leave reviews - but this bread MADE me! I've cooked DOZENS of whole wheat bread machine recipes, but this is hands down THE BEST one I've ever made! Love baking with molasses since it's the only sweetener that has an actual "benefit" (iron). THANK YOU for the recipe!!! :)
This bread was amazing!!! I wasn't to sure of it when I smelled it after and when it was baking, but WOW!!!! The taste is not too sweet but it's just enough. I used regular white flour and it turned out great!!! Thank you for sharing such a great recipe :)
Delicious! I didn't have a packet of yeast, so I measured 1/4 oz based on my little measuring shot glass which equaled 1.5 tsp. I think I should have used more so next time I'll try 2 tsp. Nevertheless, this was a sweet, delicious dark bread. I will definately be making this again! Thanks!