Choose old fashioned oats, not instant for the most fiber and nutrients. Adapted from Rachael Ray's Yum-O Family cookbook.
- Mix the oatmeal, milk, and 4 cups water in a large, deep saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. When it boils, quickly turn the heat down to very low.
- Stir in brown sugar, dried fruits, and salt and cook at a low simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until very thick and creamy. Stir often to prevent bottom of pan from burning.
- Serve with additional milk, or cool and chill to reheat later in the week.
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal:.
- Swap 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped for the dried fruit Add 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, plus more for serving.
- Banana Nut Oatmeal:.
- Swap 1/2 cup pure maple syrup for the brown sugar and 2 bananas, chopped, for the dried fruit.