1/1 Photo of Oatmeal Knots
2 hrs 15 mins
Vino Girl's Note:
From Cooking Light January/February 2008. (Sides and Salads Category Winner in Reader Recipe contest, by Melissa Hinrichs)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml oats
- 118.29 ml honey
- 29.58 ml butter
- 7.39 ml salt
- 473.18 ml boiling water
- 11.09 ml package dry yeast
- 78.07 ml warm water (100F to 110F )
- 59.14 ml flax seed meal
- 709.77 ml whole wheat flour
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour, divided
- cooking spray
- 4.92 ml water
- 1 egg
- 14.79 ml oats
- 14.79 ml poppy seed
- 14.79 ml sesame seeds
- 1Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, and add 2 cups boiling water, stirring until well blended. Cool to room temperature.
- 2Dissolve yeast in 1/3 cup warm water in a small bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- 3Add yeast mixture to oats mixture; stir well.
- 4Stir in flaxseed meal.
- 5Gradually add 3 cups whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour to oats mixture; stir until a soft dough forms.
- 6Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
- 7Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- 8Punch dough down, and let rest for 5 minutes.
- 9Divide dough in half; cut each half into 12 equal portions.
- 10Working with one portion at a time (cover remaining dough to prevent from drying), shape each portion into an 8-inch rope. Tie each rope into a single knot; tuck top end of rope under bottom edge of roll.
- 11Place each roll on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- 12Cover with plastic wrap coated with cooking spray; let rise in a warm place (85F), free from drafts, for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- 13Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 14Combine 1 teaspoon water and egg in a small bowl; brush egg mixture over rolls.
- 15Combine 1 tablespoon oats, poppy seeds, and sesame seeds; sprinkle evenly over rolls.
- 16Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- 17Cool on wire racks.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oatmeal Knots
Serving Size: 1 (66 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 150.6
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 11.3 mg
- Sodium 157.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 4.8 g