Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 mins
My hubby and I have started our mornings with this for the last three years. Very quick, easy, nutritious and delicious! Decrease milk a bit if you like a heartier oatmeal. Increase sugar or add raisins for the sweet tooth. Enjoy-
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup regular soymilk or 1 cup milk
- 1 cup vanilla-flavored soymilk (such as Silk)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup toasted chopped almonds
- Combine oats, milks and salt in LARGE microwavable bowl.
- Microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- Let rest for two to four minutes.
- Stir in cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Dish into serving bowls.
- Serve with almonds sprinkled on top.
I made this on the stove with pumpkin spice soymilk (and therefore left the cinnamon and sugar out). The liquid ratio was fine for me. It was absolutely delicious!
This is a wonderful way to make oatmeal for breakfast. I used 1% milk and added a touch of vanilla extract. I also decreased the amount of milk a bit because I like a thick, stodgy-textured oatmeal. Take heed and use a large, deep bowl because it will overflow. This is sure to become a regular in my home. Thanks for posting.
Quick and easy - better than the instant oatmeal I have been buying for the kids, and I like that I can control the sugar in their breakfast. They scraped their bowls clean! I added a squirt of vanilla to the milk instead of using vanilla soy milk. I also used real maple syrup and 1/2 T. brown sugar with the cinnamon. Decreasing the milk slightly made this the perfect texture for my two young boys to eat by themselves without spilling it everywhere! Thanks :)