Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Ice cream for breakfast?
Make and share this Oatmeal Ice Cream recipe from Food.com.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the egg yolks until thickened and pale yellow.
- In a saucepan, bring the milk to a boil over medium heat; add in the oats, salt, and cinnamon.
- Decrease heat and return the milk to a simmer; cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until the oatmeal is thick and creamy.
- Slowly beat the hot oatmeal into the egg mixture.
- Let the mixture cool slightly; stir in the cream.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir the chilled custard, then freeze in 1 or 2 batches in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- When finished, the ice cream will be soft but ready to eat; for firmer ice cream, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for several hours.
- *Oatmeal Banana Ice Cream: thinly slice 2 small bananas; toss with 2 tablespoons sugar; let the fruit macerate at least 2 hours; stir the fruit into the custard before freezing; proceed as directed.
- *Oatmeal Berry Ice Cream: toss 1 cup fresh raspberries with 2 tablespoons sugar; let fruit macerate at least 2 hours; stir the fruit into the custard before freezing; proceed as directed.
- *Oatmeal Crunch Ice Cream: add 1 cup crunchy granola to the machine when the ice cream is semifrozen; allow the machine to mix in the granola; proceed as directed.
- *Oatmeal Raisin Ice Cream: add 1 cup raisins to the machine when the ice cream is semifrozen; allow the machine to mix in the raisins; proceed as directed.
- *Oatmeal Spice Ice Cream: add 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom, and 1/8 teaspoon ground mace along with the cinnamon; proceed as directed.