- 177.44 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml oatmeal
- 59.14 ml light brown sugar
- 56.69 g butter
- 36.97 ml black treacle (molasses)
- 4.92 ml ground ginger
- 4.92 ml mixed spice (Scottish Mixed Spice)
- 1 large egg, well beaten
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 44.37 ml milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a seven inch square baking pan with greaseproof paper which has been well buttered.
- Melt the 2 ounces butter, sugar and treacle in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Sift the flour and baking soda into a bowl.
- Add the oatmeal and spices.
- Add the melted butter and treacle mixture, beaten egg and the milk to the bowl, stirring well until completely blended.
- Pour into the baking pan and bake about 45 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool for ten minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Serve with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.