Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are a no bake cookie, and the type that I am used to, with no peanut butter in them.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter
- 4 cups sugar
- 8 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut
- 6 cups quick oats
- Put the first 6 ingredients together in a large heavy saucepan, and on high bring to a boil.
- Boil for a minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and add the coconut and oats, stirring well.
- Drop by teaspoons full onto waxed paper, and let cool.
I chose to make these because I was looking to do Christmas no-bake cookies. Soooo many of the recipes use peanut butter which I don't like. After making these, I think I know why peanut butter is so popular. It probably helps keep everything together. Usually when you scoop cookie dough, it all sticks together and easily plops onto the cookie sheet. These didn't stick together at all. I got so frustrated, I ended up putting the mix into a 13 x 9 pan, pressed it all down and froze it. The next day, they were cut into squares and put back in the freezer. There was a lot of crumbs left in the pan that didn't stick. We loved the flavour and they were nick and chewy which is what I like. There just has to be a way to keep them together.