Recipe by Marz
This recipe was published in Cook Country's June/July 2007 edition. It won 1st place in a recipe contest (for bar cookie). Contributed by Barb Schaecher, these bars are a winner, making them crunchy and creamy at the same time. Can't beat that one with a stick!
Crust and Topping
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules or 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, chopped
- 3 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Crust: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325°F Prepare 9x9 inch baking pan by spraying pan with cooking spray and line with aluminum foil, allowing excess to overhang pan edges. Spray foil with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt in bowl. Stir in butter until combined. Set 11/4 cups oatmeal aside. Press remaining oatmeal mixture firmly into prepared pan. Bake until light golden brown, about 8 minutes. Cool completely.
- For the Filling: Whisk the flour, sugar, instant coffee, and salt in bowl. Melt chocolate chips and butter in a large bowl; whisk in eggs, then stir in flour mixture. Pour filling over cooled crust and sprinkle with reserved oatmeal mixture.
- Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out with few crumbs attached, 35-40 minutes. Cool at room temperature at least one hour, then lift bars from pan with foil overhang. Cut into squares.