This is a great (healthy) recipe for oatmeal bars. It's also great with some dark chocolate pieces.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temp
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 small apple, peeled and chopped (granny smith is great)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup dates or 1⁄2 cup apricot, chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened coconut
- 3 cups oats
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- Stir together dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda and spices).
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars. Add in honey, eggs and vanilla. Slowly add in dry mixture and beat together. Stir in oats, applesauce, coconut, fruit and nuts.
- Drop spoonfuls onto baking sheet; bake 12-14 minutes at 350.
- OR, if making bars,.
- Spread evenly into a large, glass baking pan; bake 20-25 minutes.
These are every bit as good as I thought they would be. Don't know why no one has reviewed these yet. I made them like little cookies. Not at all sweet but packed with lots of gooda things. I used brown sugar instead of white...personal preference. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe. Will be making these again. I made these for Spring PAC 2010.