pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
Oven baked crackers from Bernard Clayton's Cooking Across America (originates from an Iowa cook with Norwegian ancestry). Serve with cheese or soups. Posted for Zaar World Tour 3, Scandinavia.
My Private Note
pound c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a bowl, stir together the sugar, melted butter and salt. in a separate bowl, add the baking soda to the buttermilk.
- 2Alternately add the flour and the buttermilk to the sugar/butter mixture.
- 3Stir in the oatmeal.
- 4Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 5To facilitate measuring the amount of dough needed for each piece of flatbread, divide the dough into 2 pieces and roll each into a log. cut 1/3 cup of dough from the log and mark the remaining length of the logs accordingly (i.e., 1/3 cup dough for each piece cut from the dough).
- 6Shape the small piece of dough into a round ball.
- 7Flatten it down on a pastry cloth (or floured surface) with your palm.
- 8Roll paper thin with a rolling pin covered with a pastry sleeve.
- 9Roll onto the pin or the end of a wooden spoon and place the dough on a cookie sheet.
- 10Either cut with a pastry cutter into squares before baking or bake the dough and then break into pieces.
- 11Place in the oven and bake for about 8 minutes, or till the flatbread is lightly browned (baking time will depend on thickness of rolled dough).
- 12Slip the flatbread off the cookie sheet onto a metal rack to cool. (break the dough into pieces now, if desired).
- 13These may be stored in a covered container for weeks.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oatmeal Flatbread
Serving Size: 1 (1108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6904.5
- Calories from Fat 2793
- Total Fat 310.4 g
- Saturated Fat 183.6 g
- Cholesterol 761.4 mg
- Sodium 5679.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 875.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 52.0 g
- Sugars 92.4 g
- Protein 156.5 g