Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My grandmother made this for us when I was very young. Back to the basics. No fancy ingredients, and it turns out great. She got this recipe from her mother, my great grandmother and I got it from her. My great grandmother lived to be 102 & 1/2 years old. This was one of her favorite treats that she ate often. It also brings back good memories just to make this recipe. Four generations still enjoy this.
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup milk (regular)
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (plain)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups oatmeal (uncooked)
- In medium pot mix margarine, sugar, cocoa and milk.
- Boil 1 minute (start timing when it starts to bubble).
- Remove from burner and add peanut butter, vanilla and oatmeal. Stir until thick.
- Drop by spoon onto a greased cookie sheet or wax paper.
- Let cool. Be ready to munch.
Just like my mom used to make and just like me my kids just love these! I do add extra cocoa as we like them really chocolatey. I also slipped in some ground flax seed and all bran buds cereal to add some extra fiber and the kids were none the wiser! Great and versitile recipie!