Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe was adopted during the Zaar Adoption Feb 2005. Below in brackets is the original description. I have tweaked (on 4 February 2006) this recipe a tad to match my weekday breakfast of oatmeal. I hope you will like it. (This is kinda like the mexican drink called Horchata, except you use oatmeal instead. It's really good and easy to make for a nice hot day.)
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 -2 teaspoon honey (depends on your taste. I normally use one tsp)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons non-dairy coffee creamer (optional- I use creamer cos I can't take milk and love creamy stuff)
- 1 dash cinnamon (optional)
- 1 -2 cup water (very hot or boiling, it depends on whether you want the lumpier version or the more drinkable versio)
- Put in a bowl or cup the oatmeal, honey, creamer and cinnamon.
- Next add water.
- Mix well.
- Note: you can add in nuts, raisins and other dried fruits if you like.
Love it! I used coconut creme non-dairy creamer and added the flax seed like the previous poster did. I added half water and half milk and made it drinkable. Gonna make this one a habit! Thank you Velvetinenut!!!
I make a cold version of this with fruit and low fat milk every morning and I credit my weight lose with this drink.I got the idea here,too!! I add flax seeds for a little crunch. It is a really nice way to have oatmeal in summer. Hey, it's already cooked anyway, right? I don't add honey.
I really enjoyed this and actually would say that it could use more sweetness. This is very similar to the drink my mom always made for me in the mornings in Costa Rica. I'll be making this quite a lot! Just give or take on the sweetness and enjoy. This is also good as a cold drink.