Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Oatmeal Dream Dates recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (8 ounce) package pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups margarine or 1 1⁄2 cups butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 2 cups quaker oatmeal
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded coconut, divided
- Heat oven to 350°F In medium saucepan, combine dates and orange juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut in margarine with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly. Stir in oats, 1 cup coconut and nuts; mix well. Reserve 4 cups oat mixture for topping. Press remaining oat mixture evenly onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Spread date mixture evenly over crust to within 1/4 inch of edges. Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup coconut, patting gently. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered.