Prep 2 hrs
Cook 18 mins
old recipe from d kossman sally grosserode had this also she said it came from ethal check directions for the amount of flour .these rolls are AWESOME you must like the taste of molasses though i had to use more flour as i was making the rolls just so you know .
- 1⁄2 cup quick oatmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄8 cup oil
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 3 cups flour
- bench flour
- in large bowl dump oats and boiling water.
- let stand 30 minutes until lukewarm.
- add molasses and oil.
- beat with mixer 2 minutes.
- in another bowl proof yeast with lukewarm water and honey let stand 5 minutes.
- add yeast mixture and 1 cup flour to oatmeal mixture beat 2 minutes with mixer.
- let rest 5 minutes.
- stir in 1 1/2 cup flour.
- at this point you may need to add more flour if sticky.( i added 3 cups of flour both times ).
- this may happen if oatmeal didnt cool enough.
- turn dough onto floured board.
- using remaining.
- 1/2 cup flour knead for 10 minutes.
- place dough in greased bowl.
- let rise until more than 1/2 doubled.
- form dough into rolls and place on greased baking sheet.
- you may have to add more flour as you are making the rolls( i just needed to flour my hands when rolling dough was sticky ,and i add wheat gluten to my bread recipes).
- let rise until doubled.
- bake in 375 degree oven for 18 to 20minutes.