Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
These are great!
- 1 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup regular oatmeal, uncooked
- 1 (8 ounce) packagechopped dates
- Cream shortening; gradually add the sugar, beating well. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- Combine flour, salt and soda. Add to creamed mixture, mixing well. Stir in the uncooked oats and chopped dates.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes (centers will be slightly soft). Remove from cookie sheets while still warm; complete cooling on wire racks.
I made these for DH and he says 5 stars all the way. The recipe is very quickly made and yields very flaky/crisp edge with a softer center. Be sure to keep a watch on them as mine were well browned in 10 mins and wouldn't have tolerated another 2 mins. Also, be sure to allow plenty of room between cookies because these little fellows spread like South Fork!. I made a 1/2 recipe but I should have made the full one, DH was just in the kitchen cookienapping as I'm typing this review *wink*.
Great cookies! I have fallen in love with dates recently and they were a really wonderful addition to these oatmeal cookies. I agree that less baking time is needed, but I think it may depend on your oven -- so watch them carefully. These cookies definitely spread out during baking so you do need to give them plenty of room. With DH around, these cookies won't last long. Made for PRMR, October, 2013.
These cookies taste great. They bake really thin. Made for PRMR.