Recipe by Darlene10
This is an excellent square which is very easy to make, looks good and tastes scrumptious. I have had this recipe for many years. It freezes well.
Top Review by Gerry
This is an excellent addition to my holiday tray. It definitely looks and tastes scrumptious. Made as posted and wouldn't change a thing. The Dad's cookies made for a wonderful base, the topping is delicious! Hid this one in the freezer too! Thank you - recipe is in my Holiday Cookbook.
- 2 dozen oatmeal cookies (Dad's by Nabisco)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided
- 3 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar (icing)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Crush 2 dozen cookies in the blender and add 1/4 cup melted butter.
- Mix together, reserving 1/4 cup for topping.
- Pat in greased 8 x 8 pan and bake for 10-15 minutes at 350°.
- Let cool.
- Melt together in double boiler 3 squares semi-sweet chocolate and 1/4 cup butter.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 egg and mix well.
- Remove from heat and add 1 1/2 cups icing sugar and 1/2 cup chopped nuts.
- Put on top of cooled crust and sprinkle remaining cookie mixture on top of filling.
- Place in fridge and let cool before slicing.