Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an excellent square which is very easy to make, looks good and tastes scrumptious. I have had this recipe for many years. It freezes well.
- 2 dozen oatmeal cookies (Dad's by Nabisco)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided
- 3 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar (icing)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- Crush 2 dozen cookies in the blender and add 1/4 cup melted butter.
- Mix together, reserving 1/4 cup for topping.
- Pat in greased 8 x 8 pan and bake for 10-15 minutes at 350°.
- Let cool.
- Melt together in double boiler 3 squares semi-sweet chocolate and 1/4 cup butter.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 egg and mix well.
- Remove from heat and add 1 1/2 cups icing sugar and 1/2 cup chopped nuts.
- Put on top of cooled crust and sprinkle remaining cookie mixture on top of filling.
- Place in fridge and let cool before slicing.
This is an excellent addition to my holiday tray. It definitely looks and tastes scrumptious. Made as posted and wouldn't change a thing. The Dad's cookies made for a wonderful base, the topping is delicious! Hid this one in the freezer too! Thank you - recipe is in my Holiday Cookbook.