Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Posted in response to a request for crispy oatmeal cookies. They are from Better Homes and Gardens.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla (add a little more if desired)
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375; use ungreased cookie sheets.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, soda and salt; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the brown sugar, shortening, egg and vanilla; beat well.
- Stir the flour mixture into the shortening mixture, blend well.
- Stir in the rolled oats and walnuts, if desired.
- Form the dough into small balls about the size of a quarter, or a little smaller.
- Dip the tops of the cookies in a little additional granulated sugar; place on the ungreased cookie sheets, sugared side up, about 2" apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
And crunchy they were! Nice cookie, I got 60 cookies and they baked for 10 minutes. They did not spread as much when baking as other cookies. This meant I could place them closer and bake more cookies in one go. Did not use the optional walnuts but added one teaspoon ground ginger instead. They were highly appreciated! Thanks for posting. This was meant to be made for My-Three-Chefs Game, June '08 , did not notice the review without stars before I chose. But-I am very happy to have made and tasted these cookies anyway!
This is an excellent cookie recipe. I didn't add the nuts and it was great!