Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
Especially good on apple or peach pies. My original recipe says it make enough for 2 8-inch pies but a lot of times I use the whole thing on one 10-inch.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup oatmeal (any type but instant)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients except the butter.
- Cut butter into mixture with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Spread crumbs over prepared fruit mixture of your favorite fruit pie.
- Do NOT add top crust.
- Bake as directed in your fruit pie recipe.
- If crumbs become too dark while baking, cover loosely with foil, but remove foil the last few minutes of bakings so the topping will crisp.
- Note: when using this topping there is no need to dot the fruit with butter, if your recipe calls for that.