Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Especially good on apple or peach pies. My original recipe says it make enough for 2 8-inch pies but a lot of times I use the whole thing on one 10-inch.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup oatmeal (any type but instant)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients except the butter.
- Cut butter into mixture with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Spread crumbs over prepared fruit mixture of your favorite fruit pie.
- Do NOT add top crust.
- Bake as directed in your fruit pie recipe.
- If crumbs become too dark while baking, cover loosely with foil, but remove foil the last few minutes of bakings so the topping will crisp.
- Note: when using this topping there is no need to dot the fruit with butter, if your recipe calls for that.
Great recipe! I halved it for one 9" pie. For those who said it came out hard and not crumbly, make sure your butter is not too soft or melted. Work it by hand. It will be perfect!
Simple and superb. Used my hands instead of. Pastry cutter and it worked just fine. One less thing to wash....
Very good! I used this on top of my apple crisp. My family loves it. Thank you for the recipe.