Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I got this recipe out of an old cookbook of my mothers. We like crispie cookies and this one is just the ticket. Cook time is per cookie sheet.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans
- Thoroughly cream shortening, brown sugar and granulated sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- Add sifted flour, salt, soda, oats and nuts.
- Mix all well and drop by teaspoons full onto greased baking sheet.
- Bake@ 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or until light brown.
- You may make these up into rolls and wrap with wax paper and store in fridge.
- Take out and cut 1/4" thick and cook.
these were great. not hard but crispy with a sweet flavor.
I'd been searching for this recipe for years. My mom made these all the time, especially at the holidays and since she passed away, I couldn't find her recipes anywhere. The best way to do these is the roll method. Make into two logs, wrap in waxed paper and put in the fridge. Then you can just slice off what you want and bake so you always have fresh cookies when you want them. We under bake them a bit so they are crunchy on the outside but chewy. Thanks Jellyqueen for posting! I cried making these today, but, in a good way. :)
Excellent cookie! I'm baking them for the third time since I found this recipe a month or two ago, these are really the perfect oatmeal cookie.