Prep 12 mins
Cook 10 mins
Recipe courtesy Juan-Carlos Cruz Show: Weighing In Episode: Big John & The Twins
- 14.79 ml butter, softened
- 118.29 ml packed light brown sugar
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 1 egg
- 158.51 ml applesauce
- 4.92 ml pure vanilla extract
- 236.59 ml whole wheat flour
- 354.88 ml quick-cooking oats
- 2.46 ml salt
- 7.39 ml baking soda
- 118.29 ml dried sweetened cranberries (recommended ( Craisins)
- In a large bowl, cream butter with brown sugar and spices. Beat in egg, applesauce and vanilla extract.
- Mix flour, oats and remaining dry ingredients including cranberries, in a separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture. Stir until well blended.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of batter and drop onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten each cookie with the back of the tablespoon. Repeat until sheet is full, being careful not to crowd. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 5 minutes. Store in an airtight container.
Sorry to be the outlier here, but I did not like this recipe at all. The baking temperature was missing from the recipe, or at least I couldn't find it, but a little research on another website fixed that. The cookies just didn't have much taste and I wouldn't call them cookies. They tasted very much like a bran muffin that you make because it's healthy. It's OK and non-offensive, but not great and certainly nothing to tempt me to sneak just one more before bedtime. Maybe upping the spices as others have mentioned will improve them.
I added extra spices as the other reviewers recommended and regretted it. I would stick to the recipe if I made these again. These are more like trail bars than cookies.
I make these for my 1yr old so he can have his oatmeal on the go. He loves them and I do to.